Thursday 16 October 2014

Charcoal Grid Drawing

In CyberARTS, we did a class work where we have to draw on small pieces with charcoal that makes up into a big picture like a puzzle. This picture is called The Third-Class Carriage by Honore Daumier.  The trick to this is to draw what you see, not what you think you see because it might be something else. The charcoal was messy, but I had fun with this.

 To me, this doesn't look real. There is space like the background, but the lines are too visible. Also, the lines' thickness varies throughout the picture. There were good details and shading, but I think there wasn't enough details on the faces. That's what I think for the 
imitationalism part.

For the formalism part, I think this doesn't have unity. Since each piece was made by a different person, it's not easy for the pieces to match. This makes it asymmetrical with the different values. The darks have emphasis but they are in different parts of the picture, which breaks the unity. That's what I think for the formalism part.

And for the emotionalism part, I think this feels very somber. The colours are dark, and the expressions on the people's faces are dull. And because of mixed values that don't match makes it also scary. And that's what I think for the emotionalism part.





No comments:

Post a Comment