Monday 19 January 2015

Digital Surrealism



Digital Surrealism Written Statement                                                                    

The title for this piece is called The Ghost Girl. The message I intended for this is for the “ghost” kids out there. It’s the kids who are there in class but the people who should know them ignores them. They want to talk to people, to interact with them but they can’t because they are too shy or quiet. Some try to talk to them, but they won’t listen to them. So they just sit there, with no one noticing, like a ghost. In the photo, there are 2 girls chatting like they are having fun. Then there’s the other girl who is reading. This girl is different, because she is not entirely visible and you can see the lockers through her. The ghost girl is trying to interact with them, but she can’t talk because she is too shy. Instead, she used the big “HELLO” text on the locker to get to notice her. But the 2 girls who are talking don’t notice her, even with the big “HELLO”. That how it feels for them to try to talk to you. This is to raise awareness about the “ghost” kids. There are a lot of them out there and they are tired of being a ghost.
When I tried to make this piece, I drew some sketches of how to place things. I know the ghost girl is going to be the focal point, so I need to balance it out. So I then thought to add 2 girls chatting to make contrast and asymmetrical balance. I took 3 photos: one of the lockers, one of the girls talking in the same area, and one of the last girl in the same area. Then in Photoshop, I put the locker photo as the main background. Then I put the photos of the girls and the ghost girl. And then I started cutting out just the girls and the ghost girl.
First I selected what I want to cut out using the quick selective tool. After selecting it, I use that to make a mask. Now the one I selected is white and the background is black. White shows and black covers it up. The edges look a bit rough, so I refine the edges and use the blur tool to smoothen it out. I did the same to the ghost girl.
I wanted to make the ghost girl look like a ghost, so I lowered the opacity of the mask so you can see the background. Since this is 3 separated photos I want to make the lighting the same as the main background. In order to do that, I command-click the 2 masks and use command-J on the main background layer to make a copy of the main background in the shape of the 2 masks. Then I move the layers on top of the original 2 photos and lower the opacity down so you can see the photos.
And then I drew the “HELLO” text using the brush in a new layer under the people and lowered the opacity and blurred it out to make it kind of faded. After that, I adjusted the entire thing using adjusted layers.
From doing this, I learned how to make the lighting the same and on how to refine the edges. I also learned more about using masks and the quick selection tool. I’m satisfied with this piece because I am raising awareness to those people out there even though it might not look good. I like to thank my classmates for being my models. They have been a great help.

1 comment:

  1. Digital Surrealism it is very nice article thanks for sharing this article to us, i got good info about this article thanks for sharing . sap netweaver training in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete